Developmental Delay Physiotherapy
Developmental delay Physiotherapy treatment
Developmental delay is a descriptive term used when a young child’s development is delayed in one or more areas compared to other children. These different areas of development may include:
• gross motor development: how children move
• fine motor development: how children manipulate objects and use their hands
• speech and language development: how children communicate, understand and use language
• cognitive/intellectual development: how children understand, think and learn
• social and emotional development: how children relate with others and develop increasing independence.
Parents and others become aware of delay when the child does not achieve some or all of the milestones at the expected age. Other children may present with behaviour problems which may be associated with delayed development.
The term developmental delay is often used until the exact nature and cause of the delay is known. The significance of the delay is often only determined by observing the child’s development over time.
From Developmental Delay, An Information Guide For Parents . There is a lot of detailed information in this guide http://www.rch.org.au/uploadedFiles/Main/Content/cdr/Dev_Delay.pdf